Saturday, March 15, 2014

Rabies and the Threat It Poses



Everyone knows that I love dogs, so much that I would choose to spend money on their health than mine. Check their records and you’ll see that their vaccines are updated. I guess it’s the trauma brought by the death of two of my babies due to Distemper that made me this particular to their wellness.

However, just because I love them enough doesn’t mean they cannot pose serious threats to my safety. And yes, I’m talking about rabies.

RABIES

According to Wikipedia, rabies is a viral disease that affects the brain. It is common among warm-blooded domestic animals like cats and dogs. The cause is too scientific for me to understand, but the effect is too scary not to be comprehended.

The most terrifying thing about rabies is that there’s no cure to it. In animals, the only way is to euthanize them; and somehow, that’s the only solution when humans get affected. Yes, it is definitely fatal as it targets the central nervous system – and you wouldn’t want that.

Another scary thing is how it’s transmitted. Usually, it is passed on through scratches and bites. But doctors now suggest that rabies can be acquired by humans even when the infected animals lick the skin. I swear that gave me the chills.

When rabies is acquired by a human, the symptoms can appear within a month, or as fast as a week. And as said, there’s no cure; and one symptom can lead to death. Among the signs include fear of water, fever, involuntary movement, uncontrollable excitement, anxiety, hallucinations, and more. They say that the speed of the manifestation of these symptoms depend on where the contact was. The nearer the spot is to the brain, the faster the rabies virus will take effect.

And that’s what led me to writing this.

INCIDENT

On March 1, I was playing with Kai (Labrador/Aspin mix) when she suddenly attacked me. It was a playful move, and she normally does that; but somehow, that move gave me a wound on my forehead and it bled. That was enough to send everyone in the house in a state of panic. The wound was very close to my brain, and Kai hasn’t received her anti-rabies vaccine for this year yet.

Normally, I wouldn’t have paid attention because I trust that my dogs are clean. But my mom insisted. I was steadfast in not getting medications still though since I don’t have money. Yet, my parents said they’ll pay for it initially; and so left with no excuses and choice, I was brought to the nearest Animal Bite Treatment Center in Sta. Rosa I, Marilao.

I could vividly remember the shock and worry in the face of the attending nurse when I told her that I was bitten in the forehead. Immediately, she explained to me the possibilities and urged me to really get the vaccines and complete it. She even assured me that if I don’t have enough money for that session, they would gladly let me pay for it on the next day I come back.

Until now, I wonder how they could be very trusting like that. But I suppose it’s because they’re confident no one would want to die due to rabies. Yeah, maybe it’s that.

MEDICATIONS

Cutting the story short, I was told that I need to get 5 dosages of vaccines to prevent the virus from spreading. My first question was if the injection hurts. I have this huge trauma on needles and my heart was totally racing when I saw the syringes being prepared. But then, the nurses had clearly impressed on me the severity of the possibility of infection, despite my certainty that my dog is not a carrier. They told me that the anti-rabies vaccines dogs get are their protections against other infected dogs, and not as safety assurances for humans bitten.

Initially, I got a vaccine on both my arms and one on my lower my back. They even endorsed me to an ERIG medication, in which they injected the drug directly on my wound (IMAGINE A NEEDLE PIERCING MY FOREHEAD!!!!), and it cost me A LOT.

I had to spend a total of Php5,500.00 for the whole medication process, excluding the fares, of course. It was a lot of money for us who have debts to pay.  Plus, there were so many restrictions on my food after the vaccine.

This afternoon, I had finished my sessions and somehow, I feel more complacent that I’ll be fine. I am experiencing headaches but I don’t think it has something to do with the bite. Although I feel regretful that I spent that much amount on my health, I am starting to get convinced that it was better than dying without a fight.

This experience brought me a lot of realization, to be honest. I have realized that no matter how much I love animals, they still pose great threats to our health and that we should always be wary. I tend to be so over-caring and over-attached to them that I treat them like human beings, and I couldn’t even teach them discipline; but I guess that’s not how it should always be. As their masters, we need to make them understand that it is us who’s in control of everything and that they should always obey. I know, making dogs distinguish their limitation is next to crazy, but to be honest, that’s possible.

Still, I’m planning to get an immunization vaccine as soon as I earn extra money again. Just to be sure. It’s available from ABC so I might as well receive it.

A PLEA

Everyone, rabies is indeed a serious thing, and thus should be taken seriously. If you were scratched or bitten by animals, make sure to have yourself vaccinated. It might cost a lot, but it would be better to pay than lose your lives.

Now if you’re bitten, make sure to wash the wound with soap under running water for 10 to 15 minutes. Apply 70% alcohol and Povidone Iodine (Betadine) immediately. Don’t cover up the wound with gauze or bandages, nor put garlic, plant juices, coffee, chili powder, or metals on it. Rush to the doctor, IMMEDIATELY.

Bulacan Animal Bite Treatment Center
Vendasa Bldg., Sta Rosa I, Marilao, Bulacan
0915-8980711 / 09208138278 / 09226710061

I’m not sure about the other ABC branches but I do recommend the one I went to. The doctor’s really nice and her grip’s really light that my fear of needles disappeared when she’s injecting the drug on me. Plus, their rates are way cheaper than those of private hospitals.