Thursday, January 22, 2015

The Patron of Virgins


It might be a little late but Happy Feast Day, St. Agnes!

She's the first saint whose life I've read when I was barely 7. I was in Grade 1 St. Agnes and that sparked my curiosity about who this saint was. Mom, fortunately, bought me a book and from there, the inspiration budded. 

However, it was only last year when I got to visit a chapel dedicated to her. 

In Bulakan, Bulacan, her image made of ivory is displayed in a small chapel in a small town named after her. According to stories, it was found in a nearby river by fishermen who couldn't pull it out of the water. But when a woman tried, she easily lifted it up and from there sprung the belief that only women can touch the image.

It might be so peculiar to many but according to the locals in Sta. Ines, it was the beautiful mystery of it. Once, a priest decided to touch it during his sermon and the unthinkable happened. Thunders roared suddenly and rain poured heavily. An impossible folklore, you say? I don't think so. We talked to actual witnesses of the events. The way they relate the story was believable.

Since then, no man dared to touch the image.

When we went there, I was the only girl in the group. Thus, I was the only one who managed to venerate and get close to the saint. While my friends were just taking pictures from a distance, I can do close-ups and all.

But the highlight of the visit was the fact that I managed to carry the image.

Maybe it's because of my friends' influence, but I have long believed that the weight of an image depends on the person carrying it. As ridiculous as it may sound to non-believers, we've always believed that if the saint doesn't want you to carry his/her image, you wouldn't be able to because of the heavy weight.

And so that's why when I asked St. Agnes if I could carry her image even for just a split second, I was grateful when she allowed me to. She was heavy, but light enough for my weak arms to handle. It was an awesome experience. I feel so blessed!

Before we went home, I whispered a little prayer. I asked her for blessings. I have told my deepest desires, my most wonderful dreams. I pleaded for her guidance that she may teach me her ways to the Lord.

And now that we're commemorating her feast day (albeit being one-day late), I want to remember the kind of faith I've felt that day when we visited her image. And remind myself to come back there one day and join the other Catholics in Bulacan in revering her untainted holiness.


Happy feast day to the patron of virgins.
St. Agnes, pray for us.