Monday, December 8, 2014

The IGMP Experience of A First Timer



For many of my camarero friends, a grand event to look forward to is the Grand Marian Procession in Intramuros, Manila. Happening every first Sunday of December, it is considered the mother of all of its kind in the country. Yearly, hundreds of Marian images are processioned around the city within the walls, in honor of the Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception - some even come from provinces.

It had been running for 35 years already and only now was I able to attend this prestigious gathering.
Despite the threat of Typhoon Ruby, I went there with Celine, Tina, and the altar servers of our parish. Honestly, I just went there in support to Louie and Frank who were in charge of the floral arrangement for the carosa  of Nuestra SeƱora, Estrella del Mar, (Pacheco-Estrella Family from Bagbaguin, Meycauayan City). Plus, I just wanted to take pictures.

But as soon as I got there, I knew I was in for something greater.




The first thing I noticed was the huge number of people. It was overwhelming! I don't like crowds at all so for a moment, I freaked out; but as I found our place and got to fully observe the people, I realized how everything felt so - for the lack of better word - cool.


Our Lady of Lujan



I went around to take pictures and saw different Marian images I knew and didn't know. They were positioned regally in carosas overflowing with colorful flowers and what-nots. Seeing them all, it's easy to determine that the camareros obviously put their best feet forward to prepare for this. Effort were exerted. Money was spent. Clearly, this procession is beyond ordinary.

The whole event was a gathering of the faithful. I loved seeing different altar servers donning their best attires. I loved the booming sound of fiesta music playing in the background. I loved how drum and lyre bands, complete with dancing majorettes, are present as well. Despite the threats of the dark rain clouds hovering above us all, the festive atmosphere was there.

When the procession began, we ran to the Cathedral to witness the introduction of the images. But just after a few, Celine went up to me and told me that her driver, Mang Goody, saw Cardinal Tagle and we immediately ran there to take our chances.

And as they say, beginners are usually lucky!



It was quite a feat, honestly, considering that the region is threatened by a strong and destructive typhoon. But I guess, it was the will of the Virgin Mary that this event pushes through. The skies were dark, it was drizzling for minutes, but it didn't rain during the entire procession. What a blessing indeed!

We weren't able to finish the whole procession but I knew we were lucky enough already. Next year, we promised to go back there for a more devoted and focused participation (and lots of taking pictures!) For more of my shots, you can visit my FLICKR account


Viva, La Immaculada!