Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Overexposure & Underexposure: The Thoughts of an Amateur

One night, I was reviewing my photography basics when I came across one tip that would be the biggest push in my ability: MASTER THE RULES, AND THEN BREAK IT. It was a hilarious irony, for those who don't understand, but for those practicing photography, this is the golden rule.

That's why when I picked up Celine's Nikon D90, I decided to play along the motivation. And there's one thing I have totally put focus on: EXPOSURE.

They say that good pictures must have balanced exposure. Not too bright. Not too dark. When it's too bright, it's overexposed. When it's too dark, it's underexposed. That's why many people make sure that they do not go against the light when taking shots. Pictures must be balanced for the color to stand out. There should be enough light to enhance the elements, and this is perhaps one of the reasons why flashes and lights are incorporated in this art.

I once got into trouble with my grades in my photog class during college when I submitted an underexposed shot of glasses. Nevertheless, I got a 90, if I'm not mistaken. Sir DJ (+) must have seen the potential (or I'm just boosting my self-confidence here, idk.)

For years, I've believed that photos must be balanced. But maybe, it's just because it's the golden rule. However, this morning, I realized that I know already the basics about this aspect, and so I'm off to the next step: breaking it.

But of course, without the intention to stray away totally from the rule.

1/15 | f/4 | ISO 200 | Exposure Compensation: -2/3

The picture above was my version of an overexposed shot. I was lucky to get a glimpse of the sun through the leaves of our mango tree, and I thought that it would do a great subject. Generally speaking, overexposure charms me in a way I cannot fully explain. But trying to put it into words, I imagine overexposed shots as dreamy and fantasy-like. The light contributes much to the softness of the image that creates the impression of a beautiful and relaxing scenery.

To be honest, I attribute my interest towards overexposed photos to Nature Republic's shots of EXO. Someday, I'm gonna take pictures of people like that too.


1/800 | f/4 | ISO 400 | Exposure Compensation: -2/3

Now, this is my version of underexposure. Although I added that vignette style for added drama, the whole silhouette approach of the cross was because I had in underexposed. Normal people would think that this is not a good shot because you cannot see the elements in the cross; but I think there's nothing wrong with this.

Drama. Basically, it's what underexposure gives. If overexposure creates this surreal feeling, this one gives off the dramatic vibe - mainly the feelings of longing, sadness and despair. But then, it also exudes mystery and curiosity.

Personally, I think I'll love using underexposure for my portraits. It has always been my dream to take silhouette shots of people with the royal sunset behind them, after all. :)




I am not a professional photographer, but I'm sharing with you these tips. Or maybe, I just want to convince other people that going against the rules is really not that bad? I don't know LOL