Tuesday, November 11, 2014

A Simple Wish


It was a few months ago when I took this picture. The Parish of St. Francis of Assisi had gone through a major change that was celebrated by a high mass officiated by the bishop. I can still clearly remember that morning when everyone was in the state of panic. The bishop had arrived, the mass was about to start. I was in front, ready with my camera, when I was called to the back. When I arrived, I was instantly handed the bishop's iPad Mini and was instructed to take pictures of him. I complied and then just when I was about to set it up, the bells were rung and the choir began to sing. The mass was starting.

To say that I was calm that very moment was untruthful. I was in a state of panic already when I got there and it doubled. I captured this shot without going through too much details with the gadget and my ordinary bridge camera. It didn't make it to the bishop's Facebook page. I should have known it was reserved for a better place.

Actually, it's not the shot that I'm fussing on. It's what I felt during those few seconds that I took this. I was tearing up. In joy, in contentment, in relief (because the two-week stress had finally ended), I don't know. But one thing was sure: I was grateful. 

To see beginnings had always been my simple pleasure in life. That's why I love weddings, pregnant people, the sunrise, and town boundaries. To know that something new is starting excites me so much because it makes me feel like there's another thing to look forward to. Hope's ignited and I guess, that's the best feeling of all. 

But circumstances happened and I guess things changed. I don't want to admit it but somehow, everything that unfolded since that day I took this shot had given me things to ponder on, to help me realize that at the end of the day, everything's still a work in progress.

Right now, the Christ the King celebration is fast approaching. And as I stare at the picture above, I just can't help but wish that I feel again what I felt that day. I want to tear up in joy because I was part of a heavenly service, because I was lucky enough to be given that opportunity, because I was simply there. 

I want to go back to that sincere individual who was just taking pictures of whatever that pleases her eyes during mass. I want to go back to that grateful little girl who puts her faith on topmost priority, who knows what everything is for.