Sunday, April 12, 2015

Why I Love to Cook for the Ponti Servers



Last night was memorable. I was already preparing to sleep when Sean called me at around 9:45PM to ask if I can still go out. They had set an unplanned drinking session which is set to start at 10PM. As I have been craving for alcohol since after the branch opening, I immediately called mom to tell her I'm going out. Sean then picked me up and together, we went to Marvin's house, where Lyndon, Ajhay, and Allan were already waiting for us. Ralph came afterwards.

The moment I sat down, Marvin spilled on the kids. He said the boys were excited that I was coming because someone's gonna cook for them. Sean must have thought the same that's why he insisted that I come. Come to think about it, that could have come off as annoying, but it didn't. Rather, it sounded funny to me because these guys actually think I cook well.

I know they were just getting to my good side but I still can't help but feel appreciated. So in the end, I really cooked for them after looking through Marvin's refrigerator. I came up with fried hotdogs, onion rings, and an impulsive stir-fry sesame spaghetti.

I am not pretending to be a chef but somehow, I take pride on the fact that I can whip something up out of what I am given. Sometimes, I wonder if I can join Master Chef actually. Haha.

But no, let's not dwell on that. Let's dwell on the fact that everytime I am on a drinking session with Marvin and these kids, I always feel grateful that I can cook. Because as everyone knows, I'm quite the spoiler and it makes me feel nice that these boys are happy when they eat what I made.

You see, cooking for people is nerve wracking. It may sound ridiculously simple but it gives me intense satisfaction to be told that what I cooked tastes good. It fires up the pride in me. It gives me self confidence. It convinces me that there's another thing that I can excel at, that there's another thing I can be proud of.

Food is always a sensitive subject. To me, it requires perfection - because food is just either edible or not. No in between.

That's why I never refuse to cook for these boys. It's because they always make it evident that they appreciate my food. I know there might be times that they just don't want to hurt me, but as I can read people, I know those kinds of moment are rare.



And for that, I'm elated.