Thursday, February 26, 2015

Fighting Prejudice

So it's real.

There really is prejudice among people in the corporate world. I can feel it. I can feel how people seemed to be doubtful about me whenever they hear that I don't have even the littlest background in banking. Sure, they offer kind and encouraging words of wisdom, but only a few sounded sincere. Only a few sounded like they really welcome me in their community.

Normally, feeling this way would make me go back under my shell. If my old self heard this, she'll hide instantly. But good thing, I'm no longer who I used to be. Meaning, I'm stronger and more susceptible to pain brought by prejudiced impressions about me.

Stereotyping people are part of this world. I have no way of getting rid of them. All I have to do is to actually think like this is just some sort of a challenge I have to overcome. I have to overcome their judgments and replace it with a realization that despite being a Communication graduate, I can learn.

That is why I'm struggling double. I intend to learn everything before we're formally introduced to it. Familiarization is something I really have to work hard on.

Of course, who put me in position plays a great role too; but I've got no problem with that. That person believes in me more than anyone else in the company so I need not to prove myself to others when it comes to this issue.


Anyway... The people at Caloocan were really accommodating and amazing. Although I'm constantly feeling shy with my status, it comforts me that I've got Sheng, Sir Yuji, Renee and Rose to fill me with reminders and advices.

They taught me how to do encoding and printing yesterday. Today, I was introduced to handling requirements and computations. Fun!


You know? I think I can actually last long in this company. I think I really can make it here. And you know what else? I'm glad to be here.