Sunday, September 14, 2014

#SanKikoFiestaPreps Entry No. 2: Designs 2.0

One of the biggest challenge for me as an amateur layout artist is doing huge designs. Once, I did stuff with 12-foot dimension and it made my computer crawl. Finding good HD materials is also quite a pain in the ass, but this problem's easily resolved, thanks to my background in photography and my lovely Lumix FZ150 camera.

That is why when I was told that I need to design a 10x10 tarpaulin for the upcoming fiesta, I felt like OMG again. But then, no part of me refused to do so simply because I love challenges and it's for San Kiko, so let my computer suffer. :p

Okay, so whenever I plan my designs seriously, I actually set objectives. I have discussed already that I want the designs to be catchy and convincing, to exude liveliness, so I came up with this layout.

It was quite difficult doing this design because the background's gradient wasn't actually a pre-designed one. There were several layers just to get that blue/yellow spread done.

And then I put San Kiko on a circle for emphasis and the banderitas were added to signify the fact that this is a Filipino festivity. :)

The pink and orange at the bottom came out of nowhere, to be honest. I just saw a design from the web with a similar style so I decided to apply it to test myself. Did I make sense?

Of course, the bamboos (kawayan in Tagalog) on the sides root from the fact that we are celebrating in Meycauayan. :)

There are quite a few revisions needed to be applied so I'm allotting a few minutes tomorrow to get this done. I'm quite excited for the printing of this design. I'll make sure to take a picture once it's up!



Actually, this is the second design. As a starting layout designer, I always do two designs because believe it or not, the second design always gets chosen. :p