Thursday, October 23, 2014

The Article about Animals I've Long Wanted to Write.

Just this morning, I woke up to a Facebook post of a friend announcing the death of one of her puppies, Chewy. Apparently, he drowned in the pool last night and the caretaker failed to notice him. I know that little bundle of joy, he's that one puppy who kept on trying to climb the steps into the house - sniffing the food we were cooking in the process. 

photo from Celine
The thought saddened me. I'm sure I'm gonna miss him in a way or another, especially when we visit to swim. But what aggravated me more was he reminded me of Luhan, my puppy who died because of distemper when he was still 4 months old too. 

Geez. I'm tearing up!



***



Nowadays, I have noticed the lack of interest of many people towards animals. In videos and even in actual social settings, I see people mistreating these friends and I just can't help but feel bothered and sad. Being indifferent towards animals is one thing, hurting them is another. I cannot tolerate both.

My blood boils at the thought that people abuse their superiority over animals to the extent that they think they own these furry friends' lives. They dictate these pets' fates, making fun of their existence, abusing their weaknesses. People humiliate animals, believing that they're just animals; and that hurts.

When I was in high school, we were taught that God had created humans in His own image and likeness. A given fact, yes. But along with that privilege, we were given the title of 'stewards of His creation'. That means as we were given lives, the lives of others below us are entrusted to our care. Meaning, we have the responsibility to take care of all His creations, and that include animals.

I've seen cats being thrown whatever just because they were there. I've seen dogs being slaughtered because some drunkards do not have something to eat during their drinking session. I've seen dogs tied outside the house during heavy rains. I've seen coaches indifferently hitting the dead-tired horses pulling their carriages just because they're not moving fast enough. I've seen carabaos pulling a freaking house; puppies in cages carried by their sellers like they won't get dizzy; and many others. 

During those times, I can't help but curse myself for being so weak. All I could stand up for was the cat thrown whatever. And doing so didn't even make sense because I wasn't able to stop the people doing so. 

And you know what hurts more? It's not the fact that these animals are powerless. It's the fact that they still try to find affection, love and care from people, despite the harsh treatments. They go back to people who abuse them not because they have nowhere else to go, but because it's their nature to be loyal to their masters. Funny, right? Animals are sometimes more human than humans. Sometimes, I wish we would all switch positions.

Sigh.
Maybe I'm just soft-hearted towards the weak. 
Maybe, I just understand that how we treat animals defines who we are as a person.
Or maybe, I'm both.



"Not to hurt the creatures brethren is our first duty to them, but to stop there is not enough.
We have a higher mission - to be of service to them wherever they require it."
- St. Francis of Assisi