Thursday, September 25, 2014

Rurouni Kenshin: The Legend Ends AND WHATEVER THE FUCK IT HAS TURNED ME INTO


If I were to put into words whatever I feel, which term should I use? Elated? Fulfilled? Contented? Or perhaps... Sad? Disappointed? Craving for more?

I have just watched Rurouni Kenshin: The Legend Ends with my brother. It has just been released yesterday and I just couldn't let a week pass before I watch it for myself. No, this movie and One Ok Rock's new song 'Heartache' are just too good to fall into the pits of my mañana habit.

The film was everything it should be. The cinematography was, as expected, awesome, like how the two first films were. Applying the treatments and approaches used in traditional Japanese films really did wonders on what is supposed to be a difficult production. Personally, it appeals to me because it makes me feel like I'm really brought to this old Japanese era and where I become a first-hand witness to all the incidents that transpired in the movie.

I have to admit that there is a slight disappointment with the pace of the whole story though. Or maybe, it's just the fan in me that's speaking. The film had managed to ignite all sorts of interests in me and honestly, it kept me hanging that I wanted it to be longer. I wanted it to put more details like prolong the fight scenes between Kenshin and Soujiro; or explain some things like who the hell was that Buddhist priest Sanosuke fought (he's Anji, Sanosuke's master, by the way); and maybe they should have put more scenes for Yumi (Filipina pride kicked in, LOL).

Okay, maybe I'm just comparing it too much with the anime series.

But setting all my impossible demands aside, the film was indeed a major success. The casts were totally into their characters and I have to thank Director Keishi Ohtomo for bringing in these people together for this superb project. I am greatly inspired with how he directs his artists as I've watched in a documentary film about Rurouni Kenshin. In that short film, he revealed that he lets his artists embody the character they're portraying so that it comes out naturally. Coming from that, I think it's needless to say that Sato Takeru, Emi Takei, Munetaka Aoki, Tatsuya Fujiwara, Yu Aoi, and (especially) Ryunosuke Kamiki, and the rest of the actors were ALL amazing.

The whole staff were astounding too, I swear. Knowing how it works in the production industry, it is impossible to create such kind of outcome if the staffs were nothing; so let's give credits to the people behind the cameras, especially the production designers and make up artists. Gosh. I swear their choices inspired me a lot! 
Okay. Now, we're done with the technical reviews? Let's move on to something more subjective: my emotions.

I have watched everything, read all the subtitltles, witnessed all the fucking glory each scene had established. But at the end of the film, after Heartache played, I felt blank. Really, I felt like there was nothing, like I didn't watch anything. 

No, I don't think it was a bad thing. If it was, I wouldn't have had that urge to stay in the cinema despite being alone to watch it all over again. I guess, it's just a withdrawal from the truth that finally, I have finished something I've long waited for. I just couldn't believe it's all over that in the end, my mind probably refuses to accept that it already happened.

But as I walk away from the mall, I have concluded that it's not the end of the wait that disturbs me. It's the fact that Rurouni Kenshin: The Legend Ends managed to touch that one sensitive nerve inside me, and I didn't see it coming.

First, some scenes stirred my emotions. 
  • When Kenshin FUCKING cried. I couldn't feel anything but O M F G
  • When Shishio revealed what he wanted to the minister, I felt the sadness in him. I felt his reason. Suddenly, it was all justified how he became so evil; 
  • When Kenshin protected Megumi from the police, I just felt so empty that I saw myself wishing to have someone protect me that way; 
  • When Soujiro was having a mental battle against himself while fighting, I realized that that very moment, he was me;
  • When Saito was so mad because Kenshin went wanted, I immediately learned the meaning of loyalty.
  • When Shishio carried Megumi, I felt the need for sacrifice, but the downside of it as well.
  • The salute scene... It was just so filled with hope.
But if there's anything that really caught me off guard, it's the scene between Kenshin and his master; and this particular line: "Your worth is as much as others."



I swear that's where everything must have stopped. When I heard Kenshin's master tell that to him, my heart went into a thumping feast. Remember when I said I feel like I was there during the whole movie? That very moment, I felt like it was being told TO ME. I'm not exaggerating. I'm going through some personal issues and I guess that made me feel like Soujiro during his fight with Kenshin. Right now, my mind's a mess. Like I was slapped by the truth.



No, there's no way I'm gonna get over this movie soon. I need to re-watch it, with someone or alone. I prefer to do it alone though. I need to take it all completely. I need to really absorb the message this film is trying to tell me, and maybe accept it as my brand new reality.

This weekend, please.